5. NINJA TURTLES. Too dark for a kids movie but oh man this was my obsession as a kid. I think it was the first VHS I ever bought because they were fifty bucks back then or something!
4. GREMLINS 2. Another childhood classic full of very adult commentary on society. I also love that it’s set trapped in a high tech skyscraper… like Die Hard!
3. HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. This is a perfect movie and an adaptation of one of my favorite books as a kid. Best thing Alec Baldwin has ever done.
2. TOTAL RECALL. Peak Ahnuld and a great sci-fi story to boot. Completely iconic!
1. DIE HARD 2. I dearly love the first three Die Hard movies and this one is underappreciated. It takes the first movie and lets it loose, set across a sprawling major airport in the middle of a snowstorm. It ups the ante of the first movie.
5. THE ABYSS. Cameron creates an astonishly tense thriller that absolutely feels like it’s set at the bottom of the ocean. Be sure to watch the Special Edition which actually explains why the aliens are there and features a major new set piece.
4. LETHAL WEAPON 2. A vast improvement on the original with a lot more action and humor. A great villain and the introduction of Joe Pesci!
3. BACK TO THE FUTURE 2. My favorite of the trilogy just for the future half. Absolute classic.
2. BATMAN. I’m too young to remember the insane hype over this movie, but this is still an incredible achievement of making a dark (for the time) realistic comic book movie.
1. INDIANA JONES LAST CRUSADE. A perfect movie. As a kid this was my favorite Indy movie. As an adult I favor Raiders, but Indy and his dad remains the perfect comedy team.
5. SCROOGED. Haven’t seen it in forever but I remember it being a great blend of funny and creepy.
4. BEETLEJUICE. Haven’t seen it since childhood but it was a hilariously dark comedy.
3. WILLOW. George Lucas rips off Lord of the Rings, what’s not to love?
2. DIE HARD. The invention of the modern action movie. Classic for a reason.
1. ROGER RABBIT. An astonishing blend of live action, animation, and a murder’s row of different franchises. It’s a miracle this movie exists and it is perfection.